Thursday, March 29, 2012

Back! With some Rainbow Fun!

Sorry I've neglected this blog for so long folks! I've had my new baby and things have finally settled down enough that I can consider blogging again!

To start things off with a bang...how about some rainbow fun? My daughters class has teacher appreciation day today so I made these up for her teachers. :)

Here is the recipe!


Vanilla Cupcakes:
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsaltedbutter, room temperature
2/3 cup (130 grams) granulated whitesugar
3 largeeggs
1 teaspoon purevanillaextract
Zest of 1 largelemon(outer yellow skin)
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purposeflour
1 1/2 teaspoonsbaking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (60 ml) milk


Confectioners (Buttercream)Frosting:
2 cups (230 grams) confectioners sugar (icing or powdered sugar), sifted
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsaltedbutter, room temperature
1 teaspoon purevanillaextract
2 tablespoons milk or light cream
Assorted food colors(if desired)




Read more:http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.html#ixzz1qVQeGr9f


Here are some action shots and the results!


After blending the mix together (2 batches) I separated a little bit into individual bowls.











Then the food coloring fun began! I did not have fancy brilliant food coloring so I made do with what you can pick up in the grocery store.
Then I carefully put one dollop of each color into each lined muffin cup.




While that was baking (btw my oven cooks faster than the recipe called for by a long shot so watch your baking times!) I assembled the rainbows out of Airhead candies. This was a tedious process and I now have a huge respect for sugar artists.



Here is the first batch! Came out stunning don't you think? And below that, I dolloped the colors in reverse and that is the second batch. I may have used a little too much batter in the first batch so I had to skimp a bit on the second. Sadly they were smaller because of this.

One of the smaller ones set aside for taste testing!


A cut into the rainbow! Pretty huh!? That food coloring did better than I expected!

Final product!  Blue skies, rainbows, white fluffy clouds and bright happy sunshine!














Hope you enjoyed!



No comments:

Post a Comment